What not to do when canning. Pay attention Ree!

by PWSux on August 5, 2011

I don’t know about you but all I can say is TGIF!  I’m so ready for the week to be over and enjoy some time inside soaking up air conditioning.  It’s still Cocktail Time around here and Cat will be drawing a randome generator winner on Tuesday morning so you have until Monday evening to be entered!  You can read the post about it here.  I’m so excited to tell you that there’s enough donations from you fantastic readers to begin a site upgrade and design!  THANK YOU!!  It’ll begin next week while I do my part of it and I may shut down for a day or two towards the end of the week because I have a tendency to fuck up the entire internet when I do shit in the back office.

Just kidding on fucking up the entire internet.  It’s really more like only half the internet.

But onto more important matters – you’re TGIF assignment!  That’s right, you guys are going to have to work it today and I’m giving you a little throwdown…………..

Ree and all the other big dog bloggers are at the Blogher conference sucking up to each other and the Blogher nazi fuckers, which is my not-so affectionate nickname for the organization known as Blogher.  So it’s a pretty quiet week over on the ranch.  Other than posting a totally INSANE recipe for cooking a pot of beans on the stove for four hours in the middle of a heatwave.  Yeah, I’ll get right on that.

But never fear, it’s always super fun going through Ree’s archives and finding entertainment.  It’s a plethora of fodder.  I grabbed two screenshots and your assignment is this:

• Look carefully at the screenshots.  Study them and drink your cocktail.
  • Figure out what she’s doing wrong.
  • Drink your cocktail.
  • Here’s the kicker, GO FIND PROOF on the internet of what she’s doing wrong.
  • Drink your cocktail.
  • Post the link to your proof in your comment.
  • Drink your cocktail.
  • Read all the comments and drink your cocktail.  By now you should be three sheets to the wind and they’ll be even funnier!
Now I know you’ll need to exercise some restraint but don’t read the comments on the post until yours is posted.
Good luck!

Ree Per August 5, 2011 at 10:01 am

OMG I”M FIRST!

Ree Per August 5, 2011 at 10:02 am

And now I will read the post. Seriously, this is the highlight of my Friday morning! WOOT!

Mee Mee August 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

Go Ree Per Go!

Erica August 5, 2011 at 10:13 am

Allow the jars to sit in the hot water after already boiling them? Overcooked canned goods anyone?
And she’s using a metal knife to get the bubbles out which I thought was wrong.

Peaches August 5, 2011 at 10:39 am

Ooh, your right. Metal + high acid is no bueno.

BadPoPeep August 5, 2011 at 11:34 am

Leaving the canned goods in the hot water bath after processing depends upon the canning instructions.

HollyJay August 5, 2011 at 10:16 am

Ooh! Ooh! I see something – and I don’t even know how to can.

She didn’t leave head space in the top of the jar.

HollyJay August 5, 2011 at 10:18 am

I take that back. Looking closer I she that she did.

My bad.

Homschlr4ever August 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm

You need an 1 inch to 1 inch and a half for expansion. Unless the knife has been sterilized, it will add bacteria to the fruit and grody, icky things will grow.

Mo (just another) August 5, 2011 at 10:18 am

I HATE when you give assignments. HATE IT. I am so bad at homework. Even if it’s fun, I am not in! I am having the taking-test-vapors right this very minute.

The drinking part I can handle.

While I am sad that I was not first and DO NOT WIN AT ANYTHING, AGAIN, I am also happy you can upgrade! Because fly bitches need to be blogging in style. Oh yeah, holla!

** mo’s doing The Cabbage Patch in her cubicle area **
** makes shopping list in her head for BEAN MAKINGS and MIXED DRINK MAKINGS **
** now she’s popping and locking **
** co-worker’s side-eye: IGNORED **

HollyJay August 5, 2011 at 10:20 am

Go Mo! Go Mo!

**clapping hands**

No one here with me at work. Should really try to accomplish something today.

Ree Per August 5, 2011 at 10:28 am

Go Mo! It’s your Birthday! It’s your Birthday! You gonna partay like it’s your birthday!

::Doing the robot at her desk::

poppy August 5, 2011 at 10:23 am
poppy August 5, 2011 at 10:24 am

and, yes, it makes me want to drink at 8:24 in the morning

Peaches August 5, 2011 at 10:31 am

I’ve canned quite a bit in the past few years. But, I’m still a novice compared to the HCE ladies. But WTF I’ll give it a shot.

Do you have to use a knife for jelly? I’m a moron or should there not be bubbles in jam? Also, head space seems a bit high. I thought it was less for jams/jellies.

Wouldn’t you also wipe the lip of the jar before putting the lid on. Maybe I need to go read, but I hate giving her clicks.

Why would you take the lids off while they are still in the water bath? Plus, isn’t the lid the flat part, the ring is the only part you should take off–AFTER THE SEAL IS FORMED AND THE JARS ARE COOL. So like leave them overnight.

Now I didn’t go read her post, but there is no mention of a water bath canner, timer, etc.

BadPoPeep August 5, 2011 at 11:30 am

You should remove air bubbles before canning–but mom used the handles of wooden spoons to do it–not knives. Truth be told, she saved all the broken spoons she busted on my sorry ass to use for canning… (Note, she poked the non-broken end…)

Renee August 5, 2011 at 10:36 am

She’s a moron. Didn’t she receive canning instructions with her canning kit, or whatever she’s referring to in the second screenshot. Maybe one of her minions was supposed to read the directions for her?

Stupid Things She’s Doing Wrong:
1) She’s removing air bubbles with a metal knife, which could scratch the jar. Even if a scratch is tiny, it could lead to breakage in heat-cool cycles.
2) Is she seriously using her jar tongs upside down?! Does she think the other end is all curvy just for decoration? Like maybe she just bought some really fancy jar tongs that budget people can only dream of with sleek curves and a lovely rubber coating on the handle?

References: Any site you click on in the first twenty-five pages of results from Googling “How to can.”

BAC: .15

Peaches August 5, 2011 at 10:40 am

Damn! I thought the tongs looked funny, but I didn’t catch it. LMFAO!

Jackie August 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

Oh. My. Gawd. She used the tongs upside down. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kharn August 8, 2011 at 7:28 am

How did I miss this post on Friday? (Oh, that’s right. Damn job. Gets in the way of everything.)

How on earth has she not gone back and removed that photo? That’s embarrassing! Didn’t she figure it out when she tried to pick up the first jar and it slip-slid all over the place? Oh … my … shrieking … harridan….

Charlie August 5, 2011 at 10:46 am

She likes the word violent because their isn’t any angst in her world. The drug busts of the budget people surrounding her is so below her that she probably doesn’t even know who got picked up, unless it was a Drummond.

Kristina August 5, 2011 at 5:05 pm

No. There is no angst in her “pretend” world. Just look at the pictures of her kids and her husband. They *define* angst.

Kait August 5, 2011 at 10:48 am

I have nothing to say. I only know how my Mom canned when I was a kid. Can’t say I learned anything. So, what is she doing wrong? Probably everything, knowing her.

Karen W August 5, 2011 at 10:52 am

I actually was so excited about my jelly experience that I want to buy Tart and Sweet, but now…

Why would you stick a knife in the warm jelly? Her jelly was warm, right? And how do you give step by step instructions (with pictures) when you don’t know what you’re doing? Oh, I forgot who we’re dealing with.

Mo (just another) August 5, 2011 at 11:01 am

Too many Karens!

Kait August 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

LOL

Kharn August 8, 2011 at 7:30 am

What!? Can never have too many! (although that’s why I slightly changed my screen name here…)

poppy August 8, 2011 at 9:15 am

All this time I thought you were making fun of how Midwesterners pronounce corn. Sigh.

poppy August 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Hi, Karen W! How’ve you been?!

Karen W August 7, 2011 at 11:20 am

Hi Poppy! Just enjoying the comments and Binko!

poppy August 7, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Make any baked potatoes lately? heeheehee

JennNY August 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Buy Tart and Sweet.. you’ll LOVE IT! I have it and it is filled with some great canning recipes! 🙂

Selene August 8, 2011 at 11:22 am

When you make jams or jelly, it is already cooked, so you do not need to “re-process” them in the boiling water. Your jars are sterilized, your rings should be sterilized,and it should go without saying wiping jars as well. I also turn my jars over. Years ago I poured the wax just like my mom did until someone showed me the light by turning over the jars.

RH August 14, 2011 at 11:08 pm

You’re wrong. Just because the jam was boiled doesn’t mean you don’t need to process it. People could get sick from botulism toxins if you don’t boil the jars again once they’re sealed. I’m only pointing it out because botulism is one bad ass bacteria and can easily kill people. Here’s one of many web sites that back me up: http://dbs.extension.iastate.edu/answers/projects/answerline/questions/answer248.html Also people are bitching about Ree’s canning style in this post but not processing the jars after adding the jelly is more dangerous than anything Ree has done in her canning tutorial. That being said, I DO agree that the metal knife is a no no and I can’t believe she used the jar left upside down!

Just Peachy August 5, 2011 at 11:01 am

I cannot stop chuckling at the use of the tongs UPSIDE DOWN. Wow. Just… WOW.

I’ve made strawberry jam every summer following instructions from my mother’s old Ball Blue Book for canning, and it was Ree’s use of the metal knife to release the air bubbles that jumped out at me.

Food Network? Are you serious? This is your new star?

Pass the liquor.

BadPoPeep August 5, 2011 at 11:25 am

I’d hate to think of what she’d do with a douche.

Indy Gal August 5, 2011 at 11:29 am

Rinse out ear wax?

Just Peachy August 5, 2011 at 11:29 am

Didn’t she marry one? 😉

Mee Mee August 5, 2011 at 11:53 am

FTW!

bk August 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm

oh no !!!!! hahahahahahahahahah

TheRealKaren August 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

That reminds me of a funny story. I used to work at a Woolworth’s, and we had a very easy return policy–bring the receipt, we’ll take it back, no questions asked. Well, they always asked “Why are you returning this item?”

Anyway, this lady came in with a turkey baster, which had obviously been taken out of the package and then put back in, and the assistant manager was taking care of the return. He asked her, “And why are you returning this item?”

She said, “Well, no matter which way I sit, it HURTS!”

The assistant manager turned bright red and gave the customer her money back, and as soon as she left we all busted out laughing.

I wonder if she was related to PW.

Kait August 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

OMG You have got to be kidding! Ick.

TheRealKaren August 5, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Nope, not kidding. That wasn’t the grossest or weirdest occurrence at Woolworth’s, let me tell you. THE STORIES I COULD SHARE. Working there was like doing penance for my many sins.

MyReehurts August 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm

No fucking way! I can’t contain my laughter!

make roux August 5, 2011 at 11:01 am

Okay, this is pissing me off. I hate when bloggers post shit about canning and it’s WRONG. (And, the last person who should be canning is the person who puts her uncooked marinaded from raw meat right back into a dish. OOH. I am getting so ANGRY!)

Don’t get me started! Last night, I started drafting up a post for my blog about some jam I just made. I basically provided the ingredients and stated that everyone should follow the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving and/or the USDA guidelines at http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/publications_usda.html. I do not want to be responsible for making even the slightest typo and causing someone harm.
— End of Rant —

Oh, and how much of an idiot does one have to be to get the jar lifter wrong? It fits around the fricking jar!

make roux August 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

oops. Marinade, not marinaded.

MyReehurts August 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm

The tongs proves she is a complete idiot. Why did she think the other end was curved?

BadPoPeep August 6, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Suppose she figured it was special made for her giant, pink alien hand.

Jen August 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

So true. Who wants to do all that work and it not be right!

Kharn August 8, 2011 at 7:34 am

Exactly! So many times I’d like to do a blog post on canning, but, instructions are best left to the professionals. No way would I want to make someone sick. The people at Ball, they’ve got it going on. I’m still shaking my head over the knife in the jar. Wow.

BadPoPeep August 5, 2011 at 11:17 am

One thing I noticed from reading the post is that she added butter to the jam–which could produce an unsafe product. I noticed that the recipe she posted for her jam doesn’t include butter–she just added it for shits and giggles.

From: http://www.pickyourown.org/canningqa.htm#cantcan
“Always follow directions on a mix exactly and follow tested recipes as written. Changing an ingredient may dilute or lower the acidity level changing the processing time or method. The exceptions to the rule of never change anything in canning recipes are you can change the salt level in anything except pickles, you can change the sugar level in syrup used for canned fruit, and you can add extra vinegar or lemon juice. Reference: Penn State University, “Let’s Preserve Newsletter”, September 2007″

BadPoPeep August 5, 2011 at 11:23 am

BTW, a person can preserve butter… my mother canned several jars of butter each year for emergencies… like a nuclear holocaust, a Communist invasion or she just ran out and didn’t want to run to the store.

make roux August 5, 2011 at 11:28 am

I’ve seen some recipes that add a small amount of butter to reduce foaming. Never used it myself.

BadPoPeep August 5, 2011 at 11:44 am

If the butter is part of a canning recipe–and it’s from a reputable source, it’s probably safe. Fats have a tendency of lowering acidity of a food–thus creating a more favorable environment for bacterial growth. Most recipes which add butter compensate by adding increased amounts of acid. It’s important to follow the canning recipe to ensure a safe product.

Indy Gal August 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Leaving out the butter in the recipe was another of her long list of errors and discrepancies between the written description of the recipe and the printable.

I haven’t made jam in years and years. But I’ve always liked the foam. It’s probably my favorite part of making jam — kind of instant gratification.

make roux August 5, 2011 at 8:52 pm

My grandma used to take that foam, put it on bread and give it to me as a treat. Now that I do my own canning, I keep the foam for myself as my treat. It’s SO yummy. And probably why I never add butter to cut down on foaming.

Grace August 6, 2011 at 10:36 pm

My kids used to love eating the foam.

Grace August 6, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Butter is supposed to cut down on foaming. (Of course, I used to use recipes from eons ago). I don’t make or eat jam anymore (well, I never did eat it!).

Lissa August 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

Anyone notice her “plowing through life…. one calf nut at a time” is back in the headline? hmmm…

Just Peachy August 5, 2011 at 11:46 am

Per step #15 ~ Use only non-metallic utensils to remove air bubbles.

Jill August 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I admit I didn’t get this right away, so shout-out to Poppy and Renee for pointing out the unbelievable stupidity of using tongs UPSIDE-DOWN (smacking myself in the head). Puts me in mind of a video of P-Duh making something in a gorgeous Le Creuset pot, scratching the poor goddamn thing (the poor goddamn $200 thing) with a metal spoon. D’oh! My mother taught me to use wood on those things (this was pre-Teflon and pre-silicon) because they scratch, and when they surface is ruined, that’s it, unless you feel like shipping it off to France to have it re-enameled.

There doesn’t seem to be a bottom to the well of stuff she doesn’t know. How she ever got a FN show is … i don’t even have a word for what it is.

I also want to mention that she’s making, what, strawberry jam? High acid, high sugar, and you don’t have to worry about every little bubble and what-not. It’s a relatively low-stakes food to can.

Grace August 6, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I use only wood or silicone on my Le creuset pans – never metal. Paid way too much to ruin them!

Mee Mee August 7, 2011 at 12:44 am

I didn’t get my first Le Creuset pot until I was married (for several years – gift to my husband from his mom – I love it and use it all the time). Nobody ever told me what I could use in it but I KNEW ENOUGH to know that metal probably wan’t a good idea.

I always cringed when Ree would mention about her boys using her le creuset pots to ‘dig a hole to china’ or some crap like that. I think that is what first planted the seed that she was full of shit! I mean…who treats their stuff like that?

I truly hope the folks at FN are realizing they didn’t vet her enough and they’ll air her ‘show’ (what they already paid for) and then bury it deep into the darkness.

Paula S. August 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I have never canned, but my mother’s and grandmother’s kitchens were like canning factories every summer. (Maybe the constant mess and chaos is why I have no interest.) I distinctly remember sets of funnels to match every size of jar, and STILL the careful wiping if rims with a clean rag to be absolutely certain they were clean. I seem to remember a different set of actions involving the rings after hearing the seals occur, than what she writes.

Since I am not sure and have no experience, I would never give advice on something that could lead to explosion or poisoning. REE SHOULDN’T EITHER!

Paula S. August 5, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Sorry, PWS, Friday is my favorite day of the week, and I just can’t get into reading all the mess listed on Google about canning, a subject I find extremely boring.

Shells August 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Well what you don’t do is use the tongs upside down for one …….

Shells August 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Oops, should have read the other replies first ……. sorry to be repeating what has already been pointed out

bunnyface August 5, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Oh for God’s sake. I don’t even cook. I’m one of those people have have a kitchen because the house came with it and also because I need somewhere to store all the crap I eat that involves, at best, heating the oven to 400 degrees. (Yes, my mother hangs her head in shame anytime my housewifery skills are brought up.)

Anyhoo, even *I* can tell the damn canning tongs are upside down. And never in all my borne days have I ever seen my mother, the crazy canning lady, ever stick a knife in a jar.

Now off to see the other comments to see if I have it all wrong. Again, a strong possibility.

Homschlr4ever August 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I wouldn’t repeat what everyone else has said. But I think it’s really ridiculous to be canning, showing pictures and then remarking that you’re not sure you’re doing what’s right. That’s just irresponsible, especially because people can get sick from eating food that was not canned properly. It amazes me to no end that the FN thinks we all are so dumb that we would take her seriously or maybe they think we’ll just be awed by her family and the ranch not to notice her horrible cooking and squeaky voice. I thought her family portrait was a little strange. all the kids were surrounding her with MM on the side. Our family portraits have always been an equal pose of all involved not hunched around one particular individual. Does that make her the Queen?

Suz August 5, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Yes. It does.

Misfit August 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Maybe someone should send the copies of the snapshots along with the explanation of Ree’s errors to the good ole folks at FN. Seriously! How stupid do you have to be to use the dang tongs upside down?? I have to admit, I’ve never canned, but I have seen those canning tongs, and it’s pretty obvious which end goes where. LOL! **Shakes head in disbelief**

MyReehurts August 5, 2011 at 3:19 pm

The tongs would actually be harder to use upside down since it they won’t grip the jar properly. I can’t believe that never occurred to her. She is like the blind leading the blind.

Misfit August 5, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Speaking of the FN – did anyone happen to notice that in the Season 7 finalists, there is a Howie Drummond??

Indy Gal August 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I noticed that! He’s already been eliminated.

Mee Mee August 5, 2011 at 2:25 pm

and he went home first! lol

seriously though…I did do a cursory google search for Howie and don’t find any connection with the OK Drummonds. 😀

Indy Gal August 5, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Drummond is a fairly common surname. I’ve worked with two people with that last name.

Mary Beth August 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Anita Naik wrote all those Lazy Girl Guides to — Beauty, Sex, Living Green, etc. but she didn’t write one for Canning so I guess I will have to do it for her. It has only one chapter called “Don’t”. Just the idea of turning on my stove in 110 degree weather gives me the vapors. Besides I would have to dust it before I could use it. As for the homework, after I printed off the recipe, the dog ate it. He said it tasted just like Ree’s cooking.

Paula S. August 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm

On the blog “Rurally Screwed”, written by a cookbook author, there is a picture of her propane fueled outdoor cooker which she uses for canning in hot weather. That would be nice if you really wanted to. I don’t really want to. Especially in hot weather.

Mary Beth August 5, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for the tip on Rurally Screwed. I had no idea she was the author of “Tart and Sweet”. That would have to go on my shelf of cookbooks I enjoy reading but probably never use. I have lots of those.

As for the propane outdoor cooker, it reminds me of the old joke about the skydiver falling from sky whomeets a man on the way up and asks him, “You know anything about parachutes?” To which the man falling up replied, “Nope, you know anything about Coleman stoves?” I best not go there.

Paula S. August 5, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Glad you like the blog. I avoid both airplanes and Coleman stoves!

annmarie August 5, 2011 at 3:00 pm

You mean you missed the enthralling post on her cork board shoes?!? Oh you must go look. It ir truly mesmerizing

poppy August 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm

pssst…budget people…they’re on sale

annmarie August 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm

HEHEHE. That budget people comment never fails to make me laugh.

Kait August 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Thems some ugly shoes. Just sayings. More blogher folks sucking up to Ree. Cause with the clothes she wears it is a safe bet the only thing worth commenting on was her fugly shoes.

MyReehurts August 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Because sooooooooo many people are complimenting her on them. Thank you PW, for pointing out where you go them, so now we can all be just like you.

Btw, Target has several similar pairs, on clearance right now.

TheRealKaren August 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Oohhh, poor Ree. She’s a former ballerina and her feet are apparently so deformed that nobody ever compliments her about anything related to her feet…let us all compliment Ree on her feet so she can work on her self esteem issues.

As I overheard my husband saying to the baby the other night, “Would you like some cheese with that whine?”

MyReehurts August 5, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Thanks PWS for bring us this on a Friday! Nothing like an old post from PW illustrating how dumb she is to kick off the weekend!

Misfit August 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Oh.Em.Gee! $99??!! Did you see those things were originally $99?? Even if I had $99 to spend on shoes that I’ll only wear 4 maybe 5 months of the year, I wouldn’t spend it on cork and rope!

Kait August 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm

What pissed me off about the post was the usual – I packed nothing but boots so I had to buy shoes. How many frickin’ times have we heard that? Every goddamn time she takes a trip that is how many! Stupid hag.

mollys August 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

REEEally she packed nothing but knee-high boots??wtf its summer who really wears boots now? she is such a reeet*** and her claiming to be a former ballareeena pleezz just because she owned a pink pair of toe shoes a dancer does not make.. and seriously if someone followed her canning techniques they could get seriously ill, i have to shake my head in wonder and reach for my medicinal vodka…

Paula S. August 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

It is approximately as hot where she lives as it is here. I don’t know why she would even be THINKING about boots. It would be less hot where she went, but still not boot weather. Just fake clap trap to remind us she is a rancher. No, Ladd is a rancher. Her in-laws are ranchers. Many of their friends are ranchers. She is a poseur who happens to make her home on a ranch.

Penny August 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Exactly Kait….once again Ree spews her ususal “poor ‘lil me” crap. Let’s see if I have this right….Ree says “I just bought this pair of shoes because all I had were worn out knee-high boots and I didn’t think that was appropriate attire for San Diego.” If all she had to wear was worn-out boots, then what’s the story on these wedgy espadrille-y shoes she’s wearing to…ummmmm….practice roping calved while filming her Food Network show? At the risk of putting more money in her pockets…take a peek (2nd picture down). http://thepioneerwoman.com/blog/2011/07/im-so-glad-we-had-this-talk/

Penny August 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm

sorry…calves

Mary Beth August 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I have a “Confession”. I have too canned. Well sorta. Some of you may be familiar with the site The Homesick Texan. She has a recipe for bread and butter jalapeno pickles that I have made and they are really good. No sterilizing jars or tongs or any of that nonsense. Just pop ’em in the fridge when you are done.

I had a friend who bought pies at Sam’s. She would peel back the crust, add a ton of sugar and cinnamon, put it in her own pie plate and bake it. She would reply to all the compliments with “Oh, it was nothing.” Well that’s the way I feel about this lady’s cooking. The recipes are from her family and some are really good. I have used some of them, lapped up the compliments and said, “Oh, it’s an old family recipe.” Thankfully no one asked whose family.

REEhabilitated August 5, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I absolutely adore Lisa of Homesick Texan! That’s one blogger cookbook I can’t wait to get my hands on.

Suz August 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I love homesicktexan! I use her recipe for flour tortillas. And a few other things, none of which I can think of right now! But I will be buying her cookbook.

Mee Mee August 5, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Wow! HST looks great! I’ve already pinned several of her recipes to try. This is what bugs me…why on god’s green earth would you make PW’s crap when there are SO many truly talented food bloggers out there!

poppy August 5, 2011 at 6:07 pm

That’s the million dollar question.

Suz August 5, 2011 at 6:10 pm

It’s that mind-sheeple-thing. The recipes are GREAT simply because ree says so.

d. August 5, 2011 at 6:15 pm

off the top of my almost drunk head here…the tongs are upside down. I used to help my mom can stuff…that I KNOW is not right. here’s proof, as if any of you would need it…http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1002-Canning-Jar-Lifter/dp/B001DLRGIE/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1312586051&sr=1-3

a real farm girl August 5, 2011 at 9:24 pm

“I’ll admit that I canned/jarred for the first time over the weekend and used a different method that did not involve boiling the filled jars. I boiled the lids (tops and rings) which I was told is needed to activate the seal and steralized the jars. After I filled them with my warm blueberry jam, I placed them upside down on a cookie sheet lined with a towel for 7 minutes.” –Karen W

Karen W, please don’t do that. That is what is known as “open kettle” canning, and it is not safe. Again, please don’t do this. Home-canned foods must be processed in either a boiling water bath or a pressure canner, depending on the food and the acidity.

Alaska Mom August 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I have been doing it that way (no water bath) for 20+ years and no one has ever gotten sick from eating my blueberry jam. Now if the jars don’t seal as they are cooling (you can hear it), then you have to do the water bath.

a real farm girl August 5, 2011 at 9:29 pm

And, before someone should say that’s high sugar, that’s safe, blah blah, yes, high sugar recipes tend to have a safety net. But I think the whole point of this point is proper, up-to-date canning methods. Open kettle canning is not safe.

(Sorry. Sore point.)

Karen W August 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thanks a real farm girl, that’s why I need to get the Tart and Sweet book!

Alaska Mom August 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm

You are right–the latest literature does say to do the water bath. Years ago, when I started making jams (super high in sugar), the instructions said it wasn’t necessary. Times change.

dylanfrye August 5, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Hate that I gave her the clicks but I just sat here and read all of the comments…ok, I skimmed a lot but what surprised me was that in between all of the blowing smoke up her butt comments, there were several comments telling her she was using the jar lifter upside down. How have they not been deleted after all this time?

I have a huge garden and can a lot every year and have for a lot of years. The butter trick isn’t new, does work and unless you are PW, the butter queen, the amount needed isn’t even enough to notice in the end. I shudder to think of all the nincompoops that read her post, ran out and bought all the stuff, scratched the crap out of their jars using a knife to get bubbles out of jam/jelly when it completely isn’t necessary and ended up in the emergency room when they used the jar lifter upside down, dropped the jar and got scalded.

She is just scary and The Food Network is completely irresponsible if they allow her to do this kind of crap on her show.

Hellen Wheels August 5, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Why is she even canning JAM? Good grief, woman, have you never heard of FREEZER JAM?! I’m sure you have got room for it in in one of your many full-size freezers that are plumb full of ice cream and pizzas and Hot Pockets and Cool Whip and BBQ wings and popcorn chicken and waffles and Mrs. Smith’s Pies and Marie Callender Mac & Cheese and taquitos and Hungry Man Dinners and grocery store hamburger patties, because I bet you a million dollars that’s what your family REALLY eats.

(Whew. Obviously I have spent too much time under the computer desk sucking on bottles of wine cooler because I don’t know where THAT little rant came from!)

Mary Beth August 6, 2011 at 6:02 am

You are a genius for suggesting this. Now she can fill all thos 250 plastic containers she got at Sam’s. This is new to me so I looked up a recipe on the internet and this I can do. Regular canning with tongs, slippery jars, big vats of boiling water, and sticky material that can burn the skin right down to the bone – not this klutzy chick, at least not without a hazmat suit.

Hellen Wheels August 6, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Strawberry freezer jam is fabulous, and I think it tastes so much more like fresh strawberries than canned jam. Make some, you won’t regret it!

Paula S. August 6, 2011 at 12:53 pm

My parents made this and it is quite good. My little freezer is full. I haven’t even been able to make any of Indy’s granita.

Indy Gal August 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Well, you just better use that freezer jam so there’s room for the granita! lol

I’ve had freezer jam a few times and made it once. I don’t like it enough to make it again. I like cooked jams much better. However, I/we use so little that it’s not even worth making it.

Paula S. August 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm

No, I meant I didn’t have room for jam OR granita in the freezer. I’ve had to make do with having my libations unfrozen…..

Paula S. August 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm

LOL. You must, like me, have just a touch of dyslexia that presents at odd moments. When I see a comment by sherbetlemon, it usually reads as sherbeetlemom.

BadPoPeep August 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I love freezer strawberry-rhubarb jam!!! Sorry, had to inject that.

Witch With Attitude August 6, 2011 at 12:00 am

Okay, the dang shoes did it. Those ugly, horrible shoes. The shoes that made me learn my dear friend is a fan of the brainless one. The friend that met the brainless one while out and about at that conference thing. The shoes that my friend had spasms over. The brainless one that my friend had spasms over. I need new friends. That’s why I’m here – with issues and attitude firmly in place. Those dang shoes!!

anon. August 6, 2011 at 8:53 am

Sorry to hear your friend has gone down that path. We’re here for you. 😉

Jo August 6, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I don’t know anything about canning, and I don’t see much point in it. I can buy wonderful jams, and everything else I like, at the gourmet food store. That sounds sort of snobbish, and I don’t mean it to. I just mean to say that I am rather lazy.

I have a blog and it was once chosen as “Blog of Choice” by Google, and I was also invited to join BlogHer. I found most of the women on there so extraordinarily boring they almost put me to sleep. A bunch of June Cleaver wannabes. No one ever blogged about current affairs, politics, religion, science, or anything else of any interest. Just kids, kinder, kitchen … *Y-A-W-N*. What has happened to the women of the 21st Century? Does Ree Drummond REALLY represent them? Good Gawd, I would hope not…! There is a whole world of intelligent women out there in the blogging world.

Paula S. August 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I doubt Ree sees much point to canning, either. She thinks it will appeal to her base. I’m like you, I just don’t want to. But my grandmother, mother, and older aunts grew up preserving food in order to be able to afford to survive. When my mother was a girl, country people of modest means had their own poultry, eggs, dairy, pork, and produce. All they bought from the store was flour, meal, sugar, coffee, tea, etc. Later, they still derived pleasure from producing their own pure food.

My brother loves to garden. It relieves the stress of his job. I just never got the bug.

Jo August 6, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Oh, yes, my mother and grandmother (and aunts) all canned and were wonderful cooks, but things have changed in the 21st Century. Ree Drummond is a businesswoman. Why is she pretending to be something she is not? People are buying into her sh*t and it’s not even good sh*t. I have all my mother’s wonderful cookbooks, with all her notes in the borders, and she would gag at the recipes on the Pioneer Woman’s blog. What on earth am I missing???

I love you guys, BTW…!

Kait August 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Yes, there are intelligent women out there and it seems most of them are over here.

Suz August 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Wish Margaret Thatcher would visit!

Sally August 8, 2011 at 2:19 am

I accidentally ran across this website today. I think it is completely pathetic that your life is sooo lacking that you must follow another person around and criticize their every move. Get a life and maybe try getting sober!!! No need to leave me any comment because I will not be back.

Mo (just another) August 8, 2011 at 6:15 am

Hi Sally!

Ree Per August 8, 2011 at 8:09 am

Sally, how do you accidentally run across this website? I’m always curious when someone who is being critical says that.

Paula S. August 8, 2011 at 10:34 am

They take “Defense of P-dumb 101” in troll school.

P-slub August 8, 2011 at 8:19 am

“No need to leave me any comment because I will not be back.” Let me translate…
“Please don’t leave me a comment because I CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!”

PWS, how many times was she on here? 😉

Debbie August 8, 2011 at 8:40 am

Totally accidental! Of course. How else would you end up here, reading and commenting on this website? I’m sure you have a life and therefore no need or time to be googling Ree, right?

Penny August 8, 2011 at 10:03 am

If only we each had a dime for every Reebot who’s come in here and said those very words……sigh….

Paula S. August 8, 2011 at 10:32 am

Yes, by all means run away. Otherwise, your tiny little Reebrain might accidentally absorb some truth.

TheRealKaren August 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm

*snort* Dammit, you owe me a new keyboard now. Budget Iced Coffee all over the place.

Amber August 8, 2011 at 11:55 am

oh dear Sally. Don’t comment, just watch. Do what I did. I was a sheeple. Loved her site, and her recipes…they SOUNDED good. But I’d never made one. Then I made one. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/09/cooking_with_my_punk-ass_little_sister_penne_a_la_betsy/ This might have been the most awful thing I’ve made, of course I made it for company no less! It came from PW of course it would be good. Then I googled, then I watched. Everything on there is amazingly expensive, from Kitchen Aid’s to Fiesta ware, this little country housewife has it made. The lodge re-do did it for me. In the middle of half the country losing their jobs, she’s bragging about re-doing an unnecessary building. I’m sorry, but if I wanted to have what I can’t afford thrown in my face, then I’d certainly pick up a Crate and Barrel ad rather than willingly go to a website billing itself as “just one of us,” especially when it’s painfully obvious she’s anything but the common struggling American.

Amber August 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Not to mention, there has not been one SINGLE person that I’ve seen (admittedly I quit looking a long time ago) who’s gotten back on there after a giveaway and said “OMG, I love these knives, this mixer, this pot, etc.” You would think that if someone actually one those things, they’d post a thank you to their dear wonderful icon.

Mary Beth August 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm

After they read your comment, they will now, even if Ree has to write it herself.

Amber August 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm

~*won*~

and yes, I’m sure there will be a guest post soon about a review on a product soon.

Zoe August 23, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Okay, last year I won a KitchenAid mixer from Tasty Kitchen. It’s great. My comment was one out of more than 20,000 and I almost didn’t even see that I’d won since I never really go on Tasty Kitchen. I entered on a whim. But I had no idea how much of a franchise Ree had become and I actually thought that when I emailed to claim my prize that I was going to hear from her directly. I was embarrassed at my naivete.

Jo August 8, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Sally, if you want to immerse yourself in mediocrity, then by all means you are free to do so. It’s a free country. Folks are also free to criticize mediocrity.

I have read both Ree Drummond’s website (which, by the way, makes me gag) and I have read this website, and I love these brilliant women. There is no mediocrity here ~~ drunk or sober…! And hey, who knows, you might actually learn a thing or two by reading the comments here. You certainly are not learning anything *over there*.

Sher August 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Can I ask a really dumb question? What part of “thepioneerwomanSUX” don’t you get? Geez, people, get with the program. Maybe remedial reading?

Penny August 8, 2011 at 10:05 am

I apologize in advance for the length of this comment….this post inspired me to send another e-mail to Food Network and I thought I’d share it with ya’ll. Here goes:

Dear Food Network,
While I realize there’s nothing that can stop the Ree Drummond train now that it’s rolling, I wanted to write and say how disappointed I am with you for choosing to put that woman on your network. Remember when Food Network was about cooking and people who could actually cook? You know…like real chefs or competent home cooks? When it was about showing people how to cook and fostering a love of all things food? And now? It’s obviously all about the almighty dollar, manufactured personalities and selling your made-in-China crappy knives and cookware. I know you have to make a profit…I get that…but balance would be nice don’t you think? You have Sandra Lee and her Kwanzaa cake…wasn’t that enough? Is it so impossible to make money and keep your integrity in tact?
As for Ree Drummond? She has proven over and over again that she can’t cook and has no clue what she’s doing in the kitchen. This is a woman who, while appearing on the Today Show, rubs a whole, unpeeled clove of garlic on a bowl, while telling Meredith Viera it makes her “feel urban”. This is the same woman who, on another morning show appearance, tells viewers to pour used marinade (that’s had raw meat sitting in it) back into the dish at the end of the cooking period. Are you kidding me? This woman wouldn’t have made it past the first elimination on Next Food Network Star and yet you give her a show. Amazing! Congratulations on signing a woman who posts about making strawberry jam on her website, while providing her readers with misinformation on canning, using a metal knife to remove air bubbles from the jar and EVEN PHOTOGRAPHS HERSELF USING THE JAR LIFTER INCORRECTLY. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/08/strawberry-jam-part-ii/ Wow…just wow. Your recipe editors best get ready…they’ll be busy real soon. Someone could get sick from Ree’s poorly-written recipes and guess who gets sued? You’ll have to sell a whole lotta knives to make up for what Ree’s bringing your way!
It’s too bad the powers that be are letting someone (Susie Fogleman and her flying monkeys?)ruin what used to be a great network; making it virtually impossible to take most of your shows seriously (even Alton Brown has become a parody of himself). For those of us who actually know something about cooking, it seems PBS is the only choice…..Food Network has devolved into a joke that appeals only to the unenlightened masses…like a “Jersey Shore” of the cooking world. You must be very proud!

Paula S. August 8, 2011 at 10:41 am

Excellent, Penny! You zeroed in on the instances of her ineptitude that should really concern FN. Taste in recipes, clothing, use of one’s family, many of the things that we all loathe in relation to PW, are debatable, but those things you mentioned should have them shaking in their executive Murphy and Johnson wing tips!

Penny August 8, 2011 at 11:04 am

Thanks Paula! Only problem is…they’ll have to stop counting their cash in order to realize they have a problem!

poppy August 8, 2011 at 10:57 am

*fingersnaps*

Penny August 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

LOL….thanks Poppy!

Indy Gal August 8, 2011 at 11:10 am

Great job, Penny!

Indy Gal August 8, 2011 at 11:12 am

I hope they have someone check her recipes before they are posted on the FN site. There are many that are missing ingredients or steps. One has to read the step-by-step with five bazillion pictures and the printer-ready to make sure you get it “right.” Kind of. Maybe.

Kait August 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm

If I was a high-fiver I would high-five you. Great letter. Too bad they are going to ignore you.

Jo August 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Just give her five minutes alone with Chef Gordon Ramsay. That’s all I ask. Just give minutes.

Kait August 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Ooooooh just the thought of it makes my hiney tingle right through my holey yoga pants.

Penny August 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm

That would be amazing…I would pay money to see that. Actually I think Joe Bastianich would be good too…he’d just give her THAT LOOK as he spit out her food and walked away.

TheRealKaren August 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Oh Lord, even Robert Irvine or Alton Brown. Either one of those guys would rip her a new one. Not as well or as thoroughly as Ramsay, but it would be hilarious.

Kristina August 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Yes. Send Kitchen Nightmares over to the lil’ ol’ Lodge.

Too hilarious!

Indy Gal August 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Someone there would be able to cut her down to size.

Sher August 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Anthony Bourdain, anyone?

SageNV August 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Good job!!

Mary Beth August 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Ree may have made a deal with the devil. One article I read said Food Network is now insisting on a stake in book deals, licensing ventures and control over outside activities. Outside activities? Would this explain the roping in the purple top and green espadrilles? Could they be getting a cut of her next cookbook? What did she have do to get on TV? My guess is that the FN was behind all those appearances on the morning shows earlier this year as a trial run of her popularity.

Melissa August 9, 2011 at 2:09 am

It makes sense. They handled the scandal of hiring a guy who claimed to be a chef, who had his own show & everything before the truth came out, pretty well. Same with the chef who had a show on there who ended up killing someone last year I think. I think they’ve gotten more careful after that, and are reining in their people so that they can make sure that they have clean records while under contract. I don’t blame food network, I actually like them, and a lot of the chefs/shows they have on. I’d be more surprised if they didn’t do those things, since they are a huge huge corporation. Once she signs with them, they basically own her whole entire image, and her life. I’m not sure if she realizes that or not.

Kristina August 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm

If anyone else has seen Confessions today, are you as freaked out/outraged/ darn-near-speechless (and that one’s hard to do) by the (you supply the adjective) pictures of her daughters? Toddlers and Tiaras–think Jon-Benet Ramsey…. And posting pictures of overly-made-up sexualized tween girls with playboy bunny descriptions is beyond the pale.

I’m really angry. I don’t see how any sheeple could, in good conscience, defend this.

I feel so sorry for her kids.

TheRealKaren August 8, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I’m with you, Kristina. Serious lack of judgement there, but we already knew that after the butterfly/butt shots she showed of her six year old son. She is a pure-d idiot.

Paula S. August 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Lots of women allow their daughters to play at home with makeup that is far more than the little touch they are old enough to wear. Most, however, don’t post the whole thing on the web. As for the whole tot pageant thing where they look like 5 going on 25, I despise it.

Kait August 8, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Those toddler pageants are a pedophiles wet dream.

Melissa August 9, 2011 at 2:12 am

It’s one thing to allow your daughters to play dress up, but quite another to let them dress inappropriately and post the photos on the internet. I think it’s so irresponsible of her. What are those girls going to think when they’re adults and there are all those photos of them on the internet that they had absolutely no say in whether or not they are there? I mean, it just seems really stupid to me that she would do that.

Mee Mee August 9, 2011 at 9:07 am

So here is a question….who owns those photos? Does FN own the rights to site (or was it Disney)? Do they own all the content? Do they own the rights to the children’s images? :/

Penny August 9, 2011 at 10:08 am

Does anyone besides me think Ree herself did their makeup? The oldest one’s eyes (eyeliner) look just like Ree’s. I don’t know many 13-year-olds that can apply eyeliner that precisely. But the proof for me is that her eyes look just like the way Ree does hers.

Shuckapeafarms February 9, 2012 at 7:45 am

My family has been canning for generations as a farm family………if it grows, we probably have canned it at one time or another. The old parrafin wax program went by the wayside with nickel beer!
I think the best way for a newbie is READING a reliable instruction step by step process booklet such as Ball! Don’t rely on internet anything…………..there are far too many know-it-alls that don’t know if they’re on foot or horseback!
I am also a professionally trained chef with substantial credentials and reading some of the garbage posted on websites makes me wonder how some folks are still alive!
The culinary world is full of toxins and knowing how to properly deal with them and protect yourself from their harmful effects is paramount!!
My moto is always go ONE STEP BEYOND…………not ONE STEP SHORT!!
Just to throw an anchor into the therory here, boiling does not kill all bacterias! Some are heat resistant, some require chemicals such as chlorine, other require different techniques…………..thats why every chef takes courses related to food borne illnesses……….it’s much deeper than the average kitchen guru can imagine! One look in most home refrigerators is enough to give a you a heart attack! Or watching the average home cook prepare chicken along with other dishes!
My suggestion, follow the experts in the field……….companies like BALL who have been around since the founding of dirt and don’t forget a lesson or ten in food handling and preparation to clue you in on food borne illnesses and their effects!

PWSux August 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I read that as “having my VIBRATORS frozen” and I was all, no freaking way.