Did she just say “proud and capable?”

by PWSux on August 30, 2011

I honestly didn’t think it was possible to live on a ranch for 15 years and truly, honestly, seriously not learn a single thing about horses.  I damn sure didn’t believe you could be a 4th generation rancher and be an asshole to your horse but Ree’s blog pictures have proved me wrong time and time again.

When I saw the Range Roundup post I was shocked by this commentary from Ree.

Ree writes, “Doesn’t this horse look proud and capable?  ‘Yawn.  I’ve totally got this.  Why don’t you give me a hard job next time?”

I read that and just shook my head.

Ree, do you see the horse’s eyes wincing from pain?  Do you see how high his head is because he’s trying to raise it to escape the pain?  Do you see how high and tight those reins are?  Do you see that long shank curb bit pulled back waaaaay far?  There’s a bar in the horses mouth that normally lays flat when those reins are loose but when he pulls back like that then the bar flips up and is now jamming itself into the roof of his mouth causing immense pain.

So no, Ree.  The horse doesn’t look “proud and capable”.  He looks pissed off and in a great deal of pain.  For the love of God you earn millions posting pictures of animals being subjected to pain could you please, PLEASE, at least educate yourself in animal husbandry?

The curb bit is known as a primarily “western” bit and is leveraged – which means that as you pull on it the bar flips up and hurts the horse’s mouth.  Now, in the right hands a curb bit can be comfortable and pain-free.  They’re often used once the horse is trained for neck reining because when he feels the rein against his neck he turns and there’s no need to pull on his mouth at all.  The slightest, slightest, touch of the bit causes a reaction from the horse and when you’re wrangling cattle, galloping through pastures, etc it’s nice to be able to give a little tug and your horse responds immediately.

But that’s not what Ree posts pictures of.  Constantly she exhibits curb bits being used to cause pain for those horses.  Not only that, apparently every person on the ranch is clueless as well!  It’s awful, just awful.  Virtually everything except sliding (if the Drummonds slide, I’ve never seen a picture of it) that she’s shown they do with animals can be done in manner MUCH more respectful to those critters.

There are ranches that have tossed the shoes for their horses and learned that without them, they out-perform a shod horse in the cattle pen over and over.  Without the shoes and with a proper trim, the horses feet can grip and get better traction.  The horse without shoes out in a rocky pasture all day is ready for more work while the shod horse is exhausted and cranky because his feet hurt like hell.  Cowboys that actually know how to ride use neck reining with a snaffle bit and have just as much control of their horse’s movement.

I realize “that’s how it’s always been done” for so many thousands of ranchers and the chance of this treatment ever changing is probably zero.  It’s just such a shame because with an audience the size of hers, they are learning that awful behavior as well.  I can just imagine the reader who saw that and then witnesses another horse in horrible pain and will think it’s “proud and capable”.  Yeesh.

Learn Ree!  Would it be so difficult to freaking LEARN about proper treatment of the animals you earn money off of?

HennaH August 30, 2011 at 5:51 am

First!?

HennaH August 30, 2011 at 5:53 am

and second! Wohoo I WIN! 😉

Moonyeller August 30, 2011 at 6:01 am

3rd!!!!!! Woo mother fuckers!!!!!!!!!

Moonyeller August 30, 2011 at 6:25 am

Good post by the way!

REEhabbed August 30, 2011 at 6:53 am

PWS,
I don’t get time to post as often as I’d like; but here’s a big shout-out to you for keepin’ it really real. Your posts are wonderfully informative if they help the scales fall from one sheeple’s eyes, you’ve done well.
You should be proud of what you’re accomplishing here.

Amy August 30, 2011 at 7:16 am

Yeah, I thought that horse looked angry and frustrated, but what do I know, I’ve only seen horses in movies.

anon. August 30, 2011 at 7:20 am

I know nothing about horses or about riding them. Thanks for the informative posts – I’ve been learning a lot from this site!

Kelly August 30, 2011 at 7:29 am

Eighty Eighterstons!!

Ree is a dumbass! That’s all I got. Seriously, though, she’s dumb.

Kelly August 30, 2011 at 7:31 am

And I WAS a former ShEEple but thanks to Rechelle/Pie Near Woman who’s parody website was linked from a popular scrapbooking message board, I’ve seen the light!

Me August 30, 2011 at 9:32 am

Didn’t Rechelle’s sister visit the ranch recently? I’m not familiar with all the characters really.

Grace August 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

She did. She posted a picture with Cowboy Josh holding on to one of Ree’s children and he appeared to be tickling her. I commented that that kind of behaviour is never acceptable between a grown man and a young tween. It was deleted less than one minute later but the picture is still there.

Misfit September 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I was just there, and I believe those photos have been removed. I saw them when she originally posted, but now they appear to be gone.

Paula S. September 1, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Hope I’m not offending Rechelle here, but Rechelle’s sister posted a ton of stuff about her young girl flirting shamlessly with Josh. Typical kid stuff,this is the way girls are if nobody tones them down, but I would have wanted my daughter to quit making herself so obvious, rather than recording it to post on the web.

P-slub August 30, 2011 at 7:58 am

Ree writing about ranching is like me trying to write about my husband being an air traffic controller. The difference? I don’t understand 99% of it so I don’t even try.

“Oh, look! He got those airplanes within 5 miles of each other, isn’t he brave? He is so proud and capable.”

Britt August 30, 2011 at 8:08 am

I just read PWs post & I thought that horse had a wild look in it’s eyes & looked far from “proud and capable”.

I’m no horse expert by any means, but did do some riding when I was a kid. The first thing I was told (after learning how to get on the horse) was to never yank up on the reins. I made the rooky mistake of doing it once when my horse took off running & he promptly stopped, lowered his head & sent me flying forward. I was lucky. I wasn’t on the horse that would toss you off her back if the reins was pulled too hard. But rest assured, I never yanked that reins again!

It’s just maddening, though, to see these ‘4th generation ranchers’ making rookie mistakes that harm their horses and endanger them & their kids. It’s just proof that money & a college education can’t buy smarts!!

Ray Ray August 30, 2011 at 8:13 am

This is crazy. I love this site and how you point out all the idiotic things Ree does, but when it comes to the horses how the hell can you tell what’s happening from a still pic? He could be backing up or getting ready to turn in this picture. I’m sure a cattle rancher is going to know more about horses than you. Look at other still pics from rodeos see what you see.

PWSux August 30, 2011 at 8:41 am

I’m sorry, am I imagining the reins up high on his neck? Am I imagining the contact on his mouth? I can tell what’s happening because it’s right there in the damn picture. Duh. Guess what? It’s possible to TURN and BACK UP without pulling that hard and without raising the reins like that.

You’re not the first person to say this to me and I keep saying the same thing right back……. REGARDLESS of what they’re doing, it’s possible to do it correctly. It’s not that I’m making this shit up, google it yourself. Call a stable, call a trainer, ask them if you raise the reins and yank back to turn or back up.

Cat, Chaps and Emma August 30, 2011 at 9:37 am

Still pictures are the best way to see what is going on. Poor horse. Great post PWS. Very educational.

Christy August 31, 2011 at 10:51 am

You are absolutely right to call these things – they are mistakes. Often in my riding (and I’ve been doing it for a long time), I have my trainer or my husband take pictures, and from those pictures I observe many mistakes that I am making. So it is possible to tell from pictures.

I don’t raise my reins to turn or to back up. If I do, I get yelled at pretty quickly. It’s not the proper way to ride, and it causes unnecessary discomfort.

TheRealKaren August 30, 2011 at 9:55 am

Well, if you watched PW’s show on Saturday you for damn well sure saw how they treated the calf that they let their kid “surf.” It was caught on video for all to see. Seriously, who DOES that?

I know they raise cattle that end up going to the slaughter house. I eat beef. I know how it works. But you can still raise animals for food while showing them respect and treating them humanely. My grandfather raised chickens for eggs and meat, and if we ever tried to tease those animals, by poking our fingers in their feed or anything like that, we got an earful.

Ray Ray August 30, 2011 at 10:24 am

The kid was not surfing, he was dragged. Ya’ll are all crazy. I live on a ranch and they are not doing anything wrong. This is Oklahoma folks!! This shit happens, it’s how a cattle ranch works.

PWSux August 30, 2011 at 10:39 am

The calf is roped & being dragged through the pen, the kid lowers himself onto the calf and hangs on, when the cowbody standing there grabs the calf to work, the kids gets off.

I called it “surfing” because when we ride something behind a 4-wheeler we call it surfing. LOL

That’s not how any cattle ranch I’ve ever been on works. {shrug}

kate August 30, 2011 at 10:50 am

It was called “surfing” on Ree’s show, I believe, named that by Ree herself.

Why was the kid “dragged”? So the ranchers could have a bit of fun at the expense of a terrified calf. It may just be “Oklahoma folks” but that doesn’t make it right.

As a rancher, are you so wealthy that you can treat your animals like crap the way The Drummonds do? See, most farmers and ranchers I’ve ever met as so dependent on their horses and livestock they adamantly protect the well being of their animals. Is it just Oklahoma?

Is it the cattle subsidies that cause rich ranchers like the Drummonds to not care if their calves are injured or die, not care if their fields have weather breaks so cattle can survive the cold winter and hot summer? Since the federal government will pay them back, market price, for any lost livestock, could it be that OUR TAXES are making the Drummonds stupid and careless?

PWSux August 30, 2011 at 11:21 am

Was it? To be honest, I called it that but didn’t know she did too! I’ll have to go back and watch it again. LOL

kate August 30, 2011 at 11:35 am

Oops! I could have been you. I take my cues from here, and watch clips that get posted. Once again, I’ve been THROWN. Interpreting all these events I can’t see myself gets me in such messes.

But I can’t think of any legitimate excuse for surfing or getting dragged on a terrified calf for fun.

BOHICA August 30, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Having been part of a family that works cattle my entire life, I have never encountered a situation in which it would be appropriate or necessary to “surf” on a calf. Dragging is one thing, but this was not simply dragging the calf. To put additional weight on top of the calf while it was being drug is nothing short of cruel and completely unnecessary. Shame on the PTB for broadcasting it as some sort of cute trick or “normal” for working cattle.

May M August 30, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Ray, we could always try this out on you and see how it feels. How about we tie you up, hop on you, and then surf on you while you’re being dragged? Oh wait, there’s nothing wrong with that because it’s Oklahoma and that’s how ranches are run.

Anyone have a rope?

Cat, Chaps and Emma August 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I do!

Ray Ray August 30, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Sounds like a good time to me!!

May M August 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm

It’d be a great time for me too. One less mindless rancher who could careless about treating animals with respect is always a good thing.

Paula S. August 30, 2011 at 12:13 pm

No, you HOPE you can make us think we’re crazy. We saw what happened, and it is wrong. If you don’t think so, how would you like to be being dragged across the ground, then have it made much more uncomfortable by having weight put on top of you to grind your skin into the ground as you were drug across? The smug satisfied look on that kid’s face was disturbing. He needs discipline, and fast, before he grows up to be a serious animal abuser.

Cat, Chaps and Emma August 30, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Sounds like a Drummond to me.

Getoverit August 31, 2011 at 9:49 am

I hate to break it to you, but a cow is not like a cat or a dog. You cant tell it to come here and sit and pet it. They are stubborn and pig-headed animals and if you have never had to deal with them, shut up!

** PWSux here…… HI RAY RAY! You know, you’re exactly right and I believe it’s understandable that they roped the calf but what we’re addressing here is that the kid *rode* it as the calf was dragged. I do deal with them, all day every day sometimes so I understand completely. Thanks for stopping by! **

TheRealKaren August 30, 2011 at 8:14 am

My son took riding lessons at a local “horse camp” a couple of years ago. After being taught how to curry and care for horses, and that you never EVER leave a hot, worked horse without washing and brushing it down, he was allowed to learn to ride. One of the first damn things he learned was to keep his hands, holding the reins, DOWN. The instructor told the kids, if they pulled up or held their hands high, the horses would panic.

My son learned well enough that when it was time for his trail ride, the instructor assigned him the biggest darn horse they had, and that horse had a little attitude problem about being at the back of the trail…and the horse started galloping. Luckily, my son kept his wits about him and did NOT raise his hands high or pull up on the reins, and was able to bring that big beast back and calm him down.

Oh, and he was eight. So at eight he already knew more than the Drummonds when it came to taking care of horses.

Amy Anne August 30, 2011 at 8:37 am

It’s obvious, the horse’s ears are back and his nose is up in the air, lousy horsemanship all the way around. Ree’s ghost writers need to educate themselves about the treatment of animals. That photo of her son surfing on that poor calf just about set me over the edge. These people are heartless and cruel, what a travesty to all the considerate and decent ranchers in this country, figures the Drummond freak show would make it to the top.

SouthernMomOfFour August 30, 2011 at 8:38 am

My question is, and it’s an honest one with no malicious intent, aren’t ALL the “cowboys” at this “event” doing the same thing as the Drummonds? As you can probably tell, I know nothing about horses or ranchers. My friend sent me this website in an email with the subject line of “Best Timesuck Ever”. 😀

PWSux August 30, 2011 at 8:47 am

They very well may have but I was specifically addressing *Ree’s* interpretation of that incident.

Believe me, I’m at rodeos all the time and I see stupid shit and awful riding. On the other hand, I also see the oldest, cantankerous cowboys exhibiting fantastic handling and riding. There’s NOTHING better than seeing the pickup men whisper to their horse as they wait for bull & rider to blast out of the shoot then stick with the bull like glue while barely touching the reins, hands grabbing the rider to pull him to safety, dropping him off, then just sitting back and giving a slight “we’re done” to the reins and the horse rests while getting a thankful pat from the owner.

Rachel (S[d]OC) August 30, 2011 at 8:41 am

There seems to be a real old school cowboy way out there of training horses where everything you do is pain and punishment and you teach a horse by negative example. I knew a trainer like this. I rode at a barn where the owner’s jobless sister (wonder why) a horse trainer in Texas came to work as a trainer. I saw her go through all of her punishing methods to “train” horses. She ruined half of them – almost ruined mine until I took him elsewhere. What kind of companion do you expect to get from an animal you trained by fear?

Kim August 30, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Just had to comment. I so totally agree. I have a rescue dog and the person who had him before me would call him over and then shake the daylights out of him (grabbing his collar and just going at it). When I first got him he had awful recall, and why wouldn’t he? I had to come up with a signal to let him know it was okay to come to me – so I open my arms wide and when he sees that he knows that it’s safe. I absolutely believe in positive reinforcement.

Amber August 30, 2011 at 9:02 am

The thing that I find higly noteworthy is your passion for the animal that shows through on these posts. The sheeple can come on here all they want and say “Oh quit picking on our poor Ree,” but in a post like this you can emphatically tell that you’re not doing this post to “make fun of” Ree. You are truly doing it to point out the pain in the animal.

PWSux August 30, 2011 at 9:08 am

Thank you for that. 🙂

Nutmeg August 30, 2011 at 10:04 am

Check out 0:25 sec on this link. Here he is backing up the horse without lifting the reigns. It’s also a great movie I wanted to share the trailer with everyone. I can’t say enough good about this movie.

Josie August 30, 2011 at 10:31 am

Omigoodness, that is beautiful. It is like a dance.

I live in the heart of a big, cosmopolitan city, so I don’t know anything about ranching or ranch animals. I do love horses; they’re gorgeous animals. I learn so much from this blog, and one thing I have learned is how uninformed the Pioneer Woman is. She has adopted a lifestyle and had made money off it, but she is not really part of that lifestyle. I am still completely and utterly gobsmacked at that little punk of hers riding a calf while it is being dragged. If any child of mine did that, I would be ashamed and angry at his disregard and cruelty towards the animal. Instead, Ree Dummond allows the world to witness it. That pretty much says it all…

kate August 30, 2011 at 11:23 am

Oh dear, starting to cry. Beautiful.

Putting this on the list to see when we get back stateside.

We were taught English, rather than Western, riding. But the hand position is similar. Never, ever, do you use the bit as a weapon or yank them for any reason, high or back. You calmly send messages to the horse with your weight, slight shifts in hands, the pressure of your legs. A horse that is yanked will send you over a fence…alone…like Christopher Reeve.

The best horse we ever had was a cattle horse from Montana. Whatever cowboy trained him did a marvelous job. That horse, honestly, all you had to do was press one leg in, he would turn like he was a part of you. He could “read” your body signals before you consciously made them.

ginny October 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I grew up on a cattle ranch in the high plains of Wyoming, we had our horses shod partially I’m sure out of “tradition” but also because we were taking them over some nasty ground. However, as far as bits went, we hardly ever used a curb bit, mostly it was snaffle, and most of them we rode with a hackamore. We didn’t even need that and probably could have ridden them with a halter, but it was nice to have that extra bit of contact just in case. I was also taught to never bring my hand above my belly button when riding unless it was an emergency situation. It drives me crazy on movies and tv and on PW’s blog when I see the guys riding with their hands all the way at their chest. If they need a little extra leverage to try and get a panicked horse to stop, they are going to have to raise their arms above their head.

It is seeing other ranchers in action that have taught me my dad was unique. He never intentionally caused harm to our cattle, even that cattle drives were done without the unnecessary whopping and hollering. When working in a corral he never hit the cows to make them move, and I saw him spent more time and money than was probably economical on sick calves.

Getoverit August 31, 2011 at 9:50 am

Thats just it….its a movie!

**Ray, Ray – yes it’s a movie, but you do realize that there are people who do this kind of thing with horses all over the country? If you don’t believe it can be done, that’s fine but you’re really missing out on observing something cool.

Suzanne August 30, 2011 at 10:35 am

You would think gREEd would know more about the animals as in behavior/temperament since she has been married for how long with a cattle rancher… and has supposedly been helping on the ranch with the animals. (Or did I read that wrong somewhere).

egReegious August 30, 2011 at 10:59 am

Ree doesn’t know anything about animals except what she sees through the lens of her camera. Laddie Boy has stated before, “If I wanted a cowgirl, I would have married a cowgirl.” Instead, he married a dork probably because she was more malleable than your average cowgirl. Whatever he tells her, she believes and does. I say the fault lies more with him than her.

Samantha August 30, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Laddie-Boy didn’t want to marry a cowgirl probably because he really isn’t a cowboy. I wonder if he started taking ‘lessons’ once her blog started getting an audience. Or maybe he didn’t want some cowgal showing him up so he married a dork!LOL!

I’ve said before you may know how to ride but that doesn’t mean you ride well. It takes a certain talent just like anything.

Ree doesn’t ride probably because she sucks at it……money can’t by talent or class.

anon. August 30, 2011 at 11:00 am

No, I don’t believe she has ever actually helped with the animals. While watching that part of the show where she “helped” with the calf, I wondered if it was her FIRST time ever doing that. Awkward. I thought it was specifically done for the camera.

Sarida August 30, 2011 at 11:09 am

If you’ve read any of her “Confessions” posts on her blog, she admits to not helping on the ranch, or knowing a hell of a lot about it, but apparently (I did not see the show, so going by what others have posted) on her FN show, she helps round up horses and rope a calf (please correct me if I’m wrong here).

That being said, having been married to a rancher for over 10 years, she should’ve have learned SOMETHING about ranching, but apparently, her husband, BIL, & FIL have been doing these things wrong for generations. Questioning any of it obviously is not something she has bothered to do. Even when it’s been pointed out to her on her own blog ~ in comments that have been deleted, or not posted, because they paint the ever so Saintful (is that even a word?!) Ladd in a less than perfect light.

PWSux August 30, 2011 at 11:22 am

Exactly. For pity’s sake, she’s earning millions of dollars posting pictures like this on her blog, it’s a shame she doesn’t take a few minutes to learn just what she’s taking pictures of!

Sapeylissy September 1, 2011 at 11:40 am

You know, my husband is a Chemical Engineer who worked his way up from a simple engineering position to a high level management position (that will one day lead to the corporate offices for the company he works for currently).

I find the plant where he works fascinating. I don’t know a whole heck of a lot about what he does, but I ask questions. He has agreed to take me on a tour of the plant because I want to know how it works. He’s done this with other plants and this is the largest this company has. He knows I’m curious about how things work and want to see for myself how it works.

How can you be married to someone as long as she has (which, if I’m not mistaken, isn’t much longer than the nearly 17 years The ChemE and I have been married) and not know a blessed thing about what he does. Especially on a ranch? Good grief!

Paula S. September 1, 2011 at 11:51 am

You are so right. I mean, she LIVES where he works. Just before my husband retired, he had someone use his camera to film him doing his job, and I found it fascinating. I had also gone to a couple of open houses.

I love to see footage on TV taken inside factories showing how things are made. The machinery that turns out the things we use every day is so amazing. PW must have no sense of curiosity at all.

TheRealKaren August 30, 2011 at 11:51 am

She is on record stating that she’s refused to learn how to saddle or unsaddle a horse, so that she is exempt from the early morning work that involves actually riding a horse. What a princess.

Suzanne August 30, 2011 at 12:53 pm

You all are true. I just know from my miniscule(sp?) experience of dealing with horses and of my baby girl, 12, riding different horses, you never know what can happen. I make sure my baby has her helmet on even if its just a short ride on our property.

Paula S. August 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm

It seems like it would be prudent to know how in case of emergency, even if you rarely used the knowledge.

kate August 30, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Paula, can you imagine living on a ranch and not having a natural curiosity to learn something, anything, about your environment? After 13 years on the place, what does Ree know? Practically nothing. That is simply mind boggling. She treats it like a joke, her ignorance of everything on the ranch and complete unwillingness to participate. It’s pathetic.

Suzanne August 30, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Thank you Paula! You would think she would learn something there on the ranch…MM ain’t going to live forever with the way she cooks. But then again she has all that money and ‘family’ to take care of her…

amanda August 30, 2011 at 10:59 am

Proud and capable? This from the woman who lets her children ride without protective headgear? That horse looks anxious, upset and nervous even from a distant photo. You can see the pain and the tensing while the poor animal is wondering what is next. What in the world did the Reebots say in their response to such idiocy?

kate August 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

This is why Ree only has neophytes at the Lodge. Do you ever see a congregation of actual cowboys there or other people who know about ranching, horses or cattle? Never. Those Drummonds don’t want anyone questioning their brutal ways with the livestock.

What makes me sick is they want to be the representatives for how ranching is done, how horses are supposed to be ridden, how cows are handled, how country dogs just disappear one day (run over?) No one should be accepting the events at Chez Drummond as real working ranch life. The Drummond money maker is our taxes, the rest is just play.

May M August 30, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Personally, I don’t think I can’t take anymore of the animal cruelty posts. I know they have to be done and I’m glad you ladies point out good animal husbandry. But these shots are killing me. This is not a flounce by any means, just freakin sad about it all.

Cat, Chaps and Emma August 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm

The Drummonds have been barbarians for decades and decades. IMO, stealing, lying, and cheating their way through life. gREEd tried to hide it in her blog postings but the smart folks can see right though her rainbows and ass chaps.

Now the food network has captured it on film.

May M August 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Cat, it’s just appalling. They should know better. Someone on this site really summed it up when they said you can tell a lot by a person on how they treat their animals. I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if one day I came to this site and saw that their ranch turned into “Animal Farm” and there was a “Battle of the Cowshed” or whatever it’s called in the book.

Poor Paula and PWSux August 30, 2011 at 6:27 pm

**edited by pwsux**

Paula S. August 30, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Obviously, if you leave the computer room to finish cooking dinner and have a meal with your husband, you miss out on all kinds of drama. (This should put the lie to the troll claim that we have no life.)

No one would come here and behave so badly for so long unless they are deranged or have been employed by Ree to create havoc here.

Stinky August 30, 2011 at 6:31 pm

**edited by pwsux**

tweetie August 30, 2011 at 6:48 pm

**edited by pwsux**

Sarah August 30, 2011 at 8:18 pm

**edited by pwsux**

Sarah August 30, 2011 at 8:19 pm

**edited by pwsux**

fuctincalifornia August 31, 2011 at 12:52 am

the troglodytes buried neck-deep in ree-scented bullshit were out in full force tonight, eh?

i hate moderated comments, but i can see why they’ve become necessary. love you more than my stand mixer AND le creuset, PWS. 🙂

D'OH! August 31, 2011 at 4:11 am

Thanks for posting that PWS, as a horsewoman I completely agree with all your points about their horsemanship or rather lack thereof. Seems to me you are either a horse person, one that wants to try as hard as they can to be like the ” horse person ” (who was born with a gift” or you are a know it all prick who is a pain in the ass for the horse and any horse person who has the displeasure to watch said know it all prick in action. The Drummonds are the later…… And did you see she called it Timpenning? Lol!! Stupid fat cow, ummmm TEAMpenning Ree, you your mind off Tim and on the job. Stupid stupid woman, stupid stupid blog. And the calf surfing? Disgraceful, as a rancher you are failing in your duty of care, they feed you cloth you and pay your bills show the damn stock the respect and care they earn! Bastards!

Paula S. August 31, 2011 at 10:57 am

D’OH, somewhere on one of these real recent posts, Josie has posted the PETA link for reporting the calf surfing. It would be good to send them a complaint from yet another country. Hint, hint.

Misfit September 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm

You know, I can’t help imagining old Jock (sp?) Ewing from Dallas when I think of MM’s dad, Chuck. With the Jock character in mind, I can’t imagine why he hasn’t stepped in and demanded she stop “’cause you’re making us look like durned fools and embarrasing the family!”

LOL

wietog October 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm

This site shines a light on something we all should be more aware of, namely the swindling commercial “Martha Stewartization” of motherhood.

However, all the “First!” comments ought to be removed, imho. It makes everyone on here seem kind of juvenile and late to the party. (Even if it’s meant to be ironic). Just sayin’.

Ashley October 31, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I’m new here. I felt I needed to qualify that for some reason.

I got here through a google link, etc. =looked around and I like what I’ve read so far. I’ve read PW for a bit and while I am no “city girl” and no ranch hand, I’ve spent my time on a fair share of farms, in barns, horse shows, etc. and it always bothered me how well off everything seemed at the Drummond farm. I didn’t care enough to go research anything myself; I just knew the cattle industry wasn’t making the kind of money they were spending, but I dismissed it as it’s not out of the question for people in agricultural professions to do other work on the side.

Anyway, as a lifelong rider and horse lover, what has bothered me more than the signs of “hidden” wealth over at PW were the pictures of their horses and riders.
I don’t know about you, and frankly we can all have our own opinions on this and that’s fine, but I cringe every time PW posts a picture of someone under 18 riding without a helmet. Especially when that someone was at one point her 5 year old.
She posted about how her “baby” was crying on top of a horse one day (http://thepioneerwoman.com/blog/2009/05/somethings_wrong_part_2/) because his horse was acting up after being left behind and how he is afraid to lope. She has commented in a few posts about how she fears injury to her children. But have they ever worn a damn helmet?

I know it’s not popular, cool, traditional in western riding. Trust me, I used to be on that boat too. But to me if you’re under 18 your head better be in a helmet.

My second pet peeve is the photos of her family & help (and the occasional guest) riding, reeling, pulling back on their horses, and generally riding like they’ve never been taught how to do it properly.
To be fair though, from what we’ve seen they’ve just been sat up on the horse and handed the reins and instructed to learn or be left behind (quite literally). You can learn how to hold on and control a horse that way, but you sure aren’t learning the how and why that way. I think Missy is the only one I’ve read about on PW that might actually have had lessons at one point or an idea beyond the basics.

I guess I just felt I had to share this rant. It kills me when I see on PW her kids without helmets – I hope they never suffer a TBI. I’m equally pained when I see shots of them riding like idiots. Cattle horses are some of the most intelligent horses I have seen – they have to be, they have to know everything. My current horse is a former cattle horse. I know not everyone spoils their horses like I do, but it just sucks to see the nonchalance exhibited towards them.

PWSux November 1, 2011 at 8:19 am

Oh Ashley, you’re preaching to the choir! LOL Take a look at the “Horses” category and you’ll see posts discussing exactly this. 🙂

sandra scarth October 17, 2017 at 8:01 am

That whole family are seriously weird…/…and their friends also, along with all their other relatives, I think they’re all deluded and live in a bubble, not only are they strange, but they look physically odd as well, just bizarre freaks..